Internship online communication & social media
At the International Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS) in Leiden, we are looking for a social media intern (0.63 fte - 24 hours a week) to strengthen and expand our online communication efforts for the period 1 February to 30 June 2023.
Do you have a curious mind and a special interest in the humanities, the social sciences and/or area studies? Do you like to tell compelling stories in text and images? Would you like to use multimedia tools to engage with diverse (academic) audiences around the world? Then we offer an exciting opportunity to add communication and networking skills to your résumé and to apply your social media knowledge at a globally-oriented organisation. We seek candidates who are currently studying at a Dutch university, especially those with a demonstrable orientation towards international and cultural dynamics.
You will be:
- the antenna of our institute. You closely follow what’s going on at IIAS, Leiden University and our local & global networks.
- sourcing, curating, and creating content for our various social media platforms, such as Facebook (17,700 followers), Twitter (5200), LinkedIn (6000), and Instagram (591).
- developing a social media strategy and creating posting schedules.
- monitoring engagement, responding to queries, and engaging in social media activities.
- based in Leiden, working independently and in collaboration with IIAS staff and fellows.
- communicating with people from varied cultural backgrounds.
- a talent for creative, engaging writing (native or near-native English)
- image editing and caption writing experience
- strong networking and communication skills
- the ability to take initiative, a hands-on mentality, multicultural awareness and an eye for detail and accuracy
- studying at a Dutch university (Bachelor/Master), preferably in humanities, social sciences, area studies, communications or journalism
- an affinity with Asia, Asian Studies, research and academic life
- available between 1 February – 30 June 2023
a global research organisation and knowledge exchange platform based in Leiden, The Netherlands. IIAS initiates and supports interdisciplinary and trans-sectoral programmes that engage and connect partners in Asia and the rest of the world. We seek to promote a more contextualised understanding of Asian realities today and pioneer new approaches to the study of Asia and the ‘Asian factor’ in a changing global environment. We do so through an array of activities in the realms of research, education, publications, dissemination, network development, institutional support, and services to the community inside and outside academia.
Apply for the internship
Do you want to join our team as our new social media intern? Then we'd love to hear from you! Send us your application (including CV and short motivational letter) before 10 December to firstname.lastname@example.org, attn Thomas Voorter (Communications Coordinator IIAS). Please include the internship title – Internship online communication & social media – in the subject line. For more information about the internship position, contact Thomas Voorter at email@example.com.
The intern must be registered as a student at a Dutch higher education institution for the entire internship period. The size of the internship is 0.63 FTE (24 hours a week), with specific working days to be determined in consultation with the successful applicant. IIAS offers an internship allowance According to Leiden University’s standard intern allowance (€ 198,50 gross per month based on a 0.63 FTE position).