IIAS (and IIAS/FMSH) Fellowship Application - Terms and Conditions
IIAS invites outstanding scholars to apply for a fellowship at IIAS. Applicants may also apply for an extra two months of research at the Fondation Maison des sciences de l’homme (FMSH) in Paris, in the framework of an additional combined IIAS/FMSH fellowship.
The information provided on this page is intended for researchers who would like to apply for an IIAS Fellowship (with or without an additional research period at FMSH, in Paris) funded by IIAS.
The position of affiliated research fellow is intended for outstanding researchers (see 'Terms and conditions' below) from around the world, to work on an important aspect of Asian studies research in the Social Sciences and Humanities. Interdisciplinary interests are encouraged.
Research focus and assessment criteria
IIAS is a globally oriented post-doctoral institute that actively promotes new and interdisciplinary approaches to Asian Studies. The institute is engaged in several initiatives that open dialogue between academe and society to substantively link scholarly expertise with practitioners’ experience.
IIAS invites applications for developing innovative research, writing, and/or civically engaged, collaborative projects along our three thematic clusters 'Asian Cities', 'Asian Heritages' and 'Global Asia'.
Please indicate to which cluster(s) your proposal best relates on the application form (see below). Also, do let us know how your proposed research will contribute to expanding the existing field of Asian Studies, both conceptually and methodologically.
We encourage you to share your involvement in other activities (for example, social work, activism, creative/artistic or curatorial/editorial experience, Etc.) that might be relevant to your project proposal.
The Fellowship Selection Committee will consider your proposal from the vantage point of affinity with the vision and general mission of IIAS, conceptual framing, methodological diversity, overall coherence and narration, potential for future trans-regional collaboration and consistency in the references cited.
Through our range of collaborative projects and activities, IIAS notably seeks to contribute to a humanistically-informed and policy-relevant knowledge about Asia. We strongly recommend that applicants visit our website and familiarise themselves with the diverse projects, activities, events, and publications fostered at IIAS.
Terms and conditions
- Applicants must have fulfilled all requirements of the PhD. If you are a PhD candidate at the time of application, you may also apply, provided that you graduate within five months after the application deadline (see below). A letter from your university will be required to confirm your graduation before this date.
- The IIAS Fellowship will be tenable for a period of 12 months, starting in September.
- The IIAS Fellowship Programme is residential. Fellows are expected to live in Leiden or elsewhere in The Netherlands for at least 2/3 of their fellowship period.
- Fellows are expected to participate in a number of IIAS activities, including lectures, seminars, and social events.
- Fellows will be provided with shared workstations, use of a conference/screening room and access to libraries. The researchers will also benefit from IIAS' vast network of collaborators and partner institutions.
- It is not in the scope of the IIAS Fellowship Programme to fund the field research of our fellows.
- IIAS attaches great importance to a safe and pleasant working environment. It is essential that fellows enjoy their work and can conduct their research without hindrance. Collegiality and respect should be guaranteed, and if undesirable behaviour occurs within our program, you may contact the Fellowship Program Coordinator for support and guidance.
- At the end of the fellowship period, we do ask that all fellows submit a brief report (600-1000 words) describing their achievements and progress during their stay at IIAS, especially reflecting on how the fellowship contributed to their academic and intellectual career.
If IIAS decides to sponsor your research by awarding a grant, you will receive:
- A monthly stipend of €1250 for 12 months
- Housing (a flat in Leiden about 20 minutes walking distance from IIAS headquarters)
- A one-time grant of max. €1000 towards the costs of (international) round-trip travel.
IIAS + FMSH GRANT / Complementary research period at the Fondation Maison des sciences de l’homme (FMSH) in Paris
Anyone applying for an IIAS fellowship can simultaneously apply for an extra period of 1 to 2 months of research at the FMSH in Paris.
The FMSH provides a monthly grant of €2000 towards travel costs, accommodation and living expenses in France.
If you are interested in this option, indicate it on the IIAS Fellowship Application Form (see below).
About the Fondation Maison des sciences de l'homme (FMSH):
Founded in 1963 by the French historian Fernand Braudel, The Fondation Maison des sciences de l'homme (FMSH) is a public institution dedicated to research in the Humanities and Social Sciences. FMSH supports innovative research based on international cooperation and interdisciplinary dialogue. As a public interest foundation, the FMSH focuses its resources on programmes and services for research that contribute to the intercultural construction of knowledge.
Please visit the FMSH website for more information:
Application form and deadline
Next application round starts on 1 October 2023 and closes on 1 December 2023.
Interested applicants are invited to send their applications, consisting of the following:
- IIAS Fellowship Application Form (online), completed in full
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of Publications
IMPORTANT NOTES WHEN SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION:
- All information and documents must be sent through the online IIAS Fellowship Application Form.
- Attached files larger than 4MB are rejected by our system. Please put your first name, last name, and content description in the file's title to be uploaded.
(Ex: NAME_SURNAME_FILENAME.doc; NAME_SURNAME_FILENAME.pdf)
- Applicants will be notified of the outcome about two months after the closing date of the fellowship application period. We kindly ask you to wait patiently until we get in touch with you by e-mail to inform you of the Fellowship Selection Committee's decision.