Terms and Conditions
Application form and deadline
The information provided on this page is intended for researchers who would like to apply for an IIAS Fellowship. Please do NOT file an application with IIAS if you will be visiting IIAS in the framework of an (exchange) agreement between IIAS and a partner institution. In that case you will be selected and nominated to IIAS by the partner institution.
The position of affiliated fellow is intended for outstanding researchers (also see 'Terms and conditions') from around the world, to work on an important aspect of Asian studies research in the social sciences and humanities. Interdisciplinary interests are encouraged. We also welcome researchers who would like to work on a collaborative grant proposal or develop their PhD thesis into a book publication.
We are particularly looking for researchers focusing on the three IIAS clusters 'Asian Cities', 'Asian Heritages' and 'Global Asia'. However some positions will be reserved for outstanding projects in any area outside of those listed. Applications that link to more than one field are also welcome.
On the application form, you will be asked to indicate to which cluster your proposed research relates, or to choose the "open category".
- Applicants must have fulfilled all requirements of the PhD. If you are a PhD candidate at the time of application, you may also apply, provided that you graduate within 5 months after the application deadline (i.e. before 1 July). A letter from your university will be required to confirm your graduation before this date.
- If you are applying for a grant from IIAS to cover your research period in the Netherlands, the fellowship will be tenable for a maximum period of 10 months.
- Support for research (office facilities, library access, networks, etc.) will be provided.
- Affiliated fellows are expected to participate in IIAS events, including the fellow seminars, monthly lunch lectures, and drinks.
If IIAS decides to sponsor your research by awarding a grant, you will receive:
- A monthly grant of €2000;
- Office facilities and access to the Leiden University Libraries;
- A one-time grant of (max) €1000 towards the costs of (international) travel.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their applications online. Click the "Submit Application" button below to go to the form.
1 February of each year
c/o Ms. Sandra van der Horst
International Institute for Asian Studies
2311 GJ Leiden